06 April, 2007

Welcome.

The inspiration for this blog was, as was the case with my other, less structured blog, pure ego. :) But seriously... Ugh, save us all from environmentalists and others concerned about the environment who are so serious about EVERYTHING! Where was I? Oh yeah. The real reason I created this was as a forum for ideas. I've read a great deal of information on various environmental concerns, and unlike the increasingly radical modern environmental movement, I wanted to discuss things in a reasoned, rational manner. As I said above, if I've found information elsewhere, I'll cite it.

The reason I chose this name was because I envision a world where technology is used to enhance the environment and crop productivity, though not through the use of pesticides. I'm also not entirely opposed to the genetic modification of organisms, as long as it takes place in a sane and reasoned manner. This has been occurring for countless centuries and will continue to do so. The most significant difference is that much of it now occurs on a far shorter timescale. All that said, the technology to which I am principally referring in the name of my blog is information technology. Also, I believe that we need to respect and honor the ways of our ancestors, and to do that, I believe we need to look at how they did things, see what they did right, and figure out ways to do them better in a responsible, sustainable manner. I see this as key not only to preserving our heritage for the generations to come, but also as a core principle for manned exploration of the rest of the solar system.

Over the coming days, I will be adding previous postings on this and related topics, and when I have something new to say, I won't be shy. For my visitors on this blog, I only ask the same, and that you be courteous and try to leave this site better than you found it, whether that be in the form of insightful commentary, links to other resources, or even a joke or funny story. I don't bite... much. :P

3 comments:

Snave said...

I won't be able to leave very many coherent comments when it comes to scientific matters, but I will definitely link your new blog and I will come here to learn. I believe I share your enthusiasm for finding new ways to make things work. I like what you said about honoring our past and remembering what things have worked in the past and which may still be quite applicable today! I also believe in the importance of manned space travel, and that what you speak of is a foundation or prerequisite for such activity. And as you apparently are too, I am comfortable enough with science to not be bothered by modifications of things here and there.

When I was driving home from my last pre-operation appointment on March 13, I took a gravel road that led onto a high ridge and into an area of giant wind generators. From one vista point, I swear I could see about three hundred of the things, all moving at various rates... supplying the power necessary to run a few small towns in the area, plus part of a nearby paper mill. To me, it was a thing of beauty. I love wind technology, and want to learn more about it. I love getting beneath the wind generators and just watching them in wonder. If I take that route again in the future, and I'm certain I will, I promise I will take some pictures and post them on my weblog with you in mind. I'm excited that the town of Condon, OR (population about 800) has a wind farm of about 65 generators that supply all the energy the town needs! There is a wind farm being developed not far from where I live; I don't know yet how bit it will be, or for what the energy will be used, but I will be paying very close attention and learning as much as I can about it.

I look at my back surgery I had 3/19, and I think "So many advances have been made in medicine during the last twenty years... would I have wanted to undergo a fairly radical back surgery back in the 70's or 80's?" My answer continues to be a resounding "No!"

I have a feeling that in the kind of technology of which you speak, we may see similar rapid advances during the near future. More advances in medicine, advances in propulsion tecnologies for cars, planes, spacecraft... and it will be fascinating to see! I am almost 50, so I may not end up getting to see as much of it as you will, MC... but I know what I WILL get to see is going to be profoundly amazing. I just have a good feeling about it in my gut. Now how unscientific is THAT!? 8-)>

Snave said...

Also, I hope you don't mind that I posted rather effusively about this new blog of yours, and that I am excited about it. Maybe I will actually learn something about how wind power works, and maybe I can contribute some decent comments here on that subject if it's something you are interested in as well! Cheers

Mandelbrot's Chaos said...

I look on this blog as both an opportunity to share and, more importantly, to learn. Thanks for the shout-out. :)