06 May, 2007

Peacock. Witch Hazel.

The above title is based on some odd stream of consciousness thought I'd had recently. And no, I'm not high and I have never chased the hookah. Besides, consider it an experiment in odd titles generating greater interest in what I have to say. It was while I was letting my mind wander that day that I got to thinking about Stirling engines. I read a Wikipedia article on the subject, and it looks fairly fascinating. I am fully aware of the weaknesses of this particular engine type, but the biggest one is getting a good heat differential. For this reason, I think this would probably be best with some source of high-heat electricity generation sources. My personal favorites are solar and geothermal, with mirrors that reflect as much of the light spectrum as possible instead of solar panels being used for the former. However, nuclear could be used, as much as I am loathe to endorse that option. Another article I read of interest was about the Kalina cycle, though I'm not sure if one of these has actually been built.

While there are countless naysayers about the concept of the Stirling engine, there have been many instances in human history where the true potential of great inventions were not realized until decades or even centuries had passed. I'm wondering if the Stirling engine's time has finally come 'round at last.

Update, 21:51 CDT: I was just thinking about the efficiency of induction cookers and the various advantages built into them. Since Stirling engines run on a temperature differential of internal gases, I wonder, in an all-electric car configuration, if somehow incorporating magnetic induction as the heat source for the hot side might allow for a leap in the efficiency of current electric and hybrid vehicles. Please, tell me if this is stupid, or stupidly brilliant, or just brilliant.

No comments: