18 July, 2007

First, an apology:

I'm very sorry that I've taken such a long hiatus from this blog. I haven't had all that much to add to this topic that hadn't already been discussed to death, so I decided to be silent. I still care about the environment, but anything different I've had to say has been political and/or just weird or moody, and as such, more fitting for my other blog.

Now onto the purpose of this post: For a long time, I've said that I would have no problem becoming a vegetarian or using non-animal-source food products if the price were comparable to the natural product and if the flavor and texture were very similar. I have finally found one product that qualifies: Silk Soy Milk(TM). As of late, I've been drinking either 1% or 2% milk, and when I checked the price of the house brand at my favorite grocery store, I found that the price of the 2% milk was $3.19/half gallon U.S. (1.893L). The price of the original Silk Soy Milk (TM) was identical, $3.19/half gallon. I tried it, and found its flavor was either comparable or superior, while being a more heart-healthy product. Also, the company that makes this soy milk is green, having derived 100% of its operating energy from wind power and/or other renewable sources. Finally, the product I enjoyed is independently certified organic and packaged in a recyclable container. My one complaint is that it was a touch sweet for my tastes, but when used for cooking or cereal, I'm certain this shortcoming will be mitigated. For those few who are likely to read this blog who haven't actually tried it, I strongly recommend it.

I've become more interested in my health with my impending doom, er, 30th birthday, though I won't say exactly when it will be. Also, I've noticed that I get out of breath far easier than I used to and cannot endure as strenuous exercise as I once could. So, in the name of all that is unholy, I stepped my fat ass on the scale. According to the USDA, a healthy weight is defined as a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 18.5 to 24.9. A person is considered overweight if their BMI is between 25 and 29.9, and obesity is defined as a BMI of 30 or greater. For someone of my height of 6'1", the healthy range is 140-189 lbs.; overweight is defined as 189-226 lbs.; and obesity begins at 227 lbs. Of course, this doesn't take into account various types of athletes who may weigh more than this and still be in perfect health, so this is just a yardstick. After stepping on the scales, I've found that I've joined the ranks of the obese. Yippee fucking kay-yay.

3 comments:

Snave said...

Scheise!

I have gotten up to 195 again, and on my skinny frame it's pretty obscene-looking. Time to diet, and if I can ever quit procrastinating, exercise. Dammit, I just don't like to exercise! Anyway, I should be around 175-180. The last time I was a 32 waist was about 20 years ago, and I don't ever want to get higher than a 36 if I can help it. I wear a 36 now, but the pants are starting to get tight. I think lots of it is from emotional eating... my older daughter has had mental health issues, and my younger one who is off at college has no money management skills at all... she is chewing up our checking account. Arrrrgh...

But on an energy-blog-related note, the wind farm about 20 minutes from La Grande is almost up and running. They have just finished erecting the last wind generators, and it should all be producing electricity in a week or two. I think there are about 40-50 generators in all. They are things of beauty IMO, and I will probably post pictures of them on my VM blog in the near future!

Mandelbrot's Chaos said...

Ouch on both. I'm up to a true 40" waist, but I wear 42" in case I expand. I have legitimate reason to worry about my weight and its impact on my health, but I've done nothing. Sorry I haven't updated this blog in ages.

I hope your older daughter gets better, and for god's sake, I hope your younger one learns about the value of money. Perhaps requiring her to work a job might help, but I'm not a parent, and I therefore lack any relevant experience.

1138 said...

Watch out for they Soy - it's not all good and can cause you inner ear problems. That's why pilots and flight crews in the Air Force couldn't eat it when I was in.
I've heard of more problems since then.
On the other hand with all the crap they are putting into cows these days, they soy is probably safer on balance.

As far as weight goes, at 50 I've finally hit the high side for my height and age and that's actually a good thing after being on the low side my entire life, now I can get sick and have a few days reserve... or get through a few days of a Katrina level event.